Holiday Decor @ Home + Work

I decorated for fall, so of course, I couldn't wait to decorate for the winter holidays! You can see in my fall decor post that it was all just teasers for the holidays like pine cones + cinnamon sticks. Our first full day back from Thanksgiving weekend, I made a date with S to decorate for the holidays. We opened a bottle of wine, played a Christmas record, and went through our few boxes of decor.
A few favorite Christmas tree ornaments on our miniature tree include:

  • My ceramic ballerina that I've had since I lived in New York and did ballet. It was always my favorite ornament to put on the tree, one of my parents would lift me up to put it on a high spot so that it wouldn't accidentally be bumped + fall.
  • A select few collected from Anthropologie like a hot air balloon + a pom pom sphere.
  • My old wooden ornaments like my horse puzzle + a partridge in a pear tree.
  • A sparkly Eiffel Tower because, let's face it, dreams are made in France.
  • And our tree topper, it's so whimsical it always reminds me of Who-ville!
And of course, our old brass menorah! S is Jewish so we are lucky enough to celebrate both! This will be my 6th Hanukkah, and every year the potato latkes are different! That's one tradition that we've made our own: every year we experiment a bit with our latke recipe and change up the flavor. One year we made them from scratch with lovely textured + shredded potatoes, the other year we added curry to the mix + topped them with crumbled goat cheese! This year, I've been loving coriander, so we just might have to experiment with that flavor.
Finally, in our home, I just cannot get enough lights. We have lights inside, outside, and on our tiny Christmas tree. 
Yesterday our events department was in charge of decorating the museum for the holidays! We put up different trees in a couple of exhibit halls, decorated them, and strung lights. It was quite a beautiful sight! I do hope our December events are as thrilled as we are at how lovely they came out. I worked on the tree in my favorite exhibit hall, the dinosaur exhibit. 
We bought an assortment of gold and red ornaments, bows, and sparkly mesh fabric. The cascading mesh was my boss' idea! She went to NY over break and noted many of the beautiful trees, just in time to put up ours. 
This week has been such a festive week for my holiday spirit! Have you decorated yet?
Salut, Yelle

Comments

Post a Comment

  1. Ooh, I LOVE how the lights look shining through the organza! And your apartment balcony is amazing with those curtains. Tres chic :)

    --Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not decorated yet! You have got me in the spirit though :) Hoping to purchase my new tree this weekend. Our other was ruined last year and had to throw it away. Instead of buying one last year, we used a real tree! That was a mess!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your decorations! Your home looks so lovely for the upcoming holiday season. We just strung up some lights earlier this week in our apartment and are planning on going out to grab a few more decorations this weekend. Can't wait! Holiday decorating is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that you celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas--and i love your patio space, how dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your decorations, especially the ballerina! And how nice that you get to celebrate Hanukkah as well as Christmas. Good luck with the latkes!

    xoxo, Femke
    By Button

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have the cutest apt ever. i wish i was creative as you dt. :] i need to start decorating myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful decorations! I'm jealous of your record player! I've been dying to get one for years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yelle, I love the sweet little ballerina and the fairy lights on the balcony. This alone says Christmas to me. PS: I spy a beautiful credenza and such a cool vinyl collection in the credenza :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the lights over the door! So cute.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I celebrate both, too! I'm Jewish, so technically we shouldn't celebrate Chirstmas but we always have. We've always had a tree and a menorah at the same time, haha. AND my birthday is right before Christmas so to say I got spoiled was an understatement! My mom always served latkes with applesauce, from my grandmother's recipe, but kudos for tossing some new flavors in there! Love all your decorations. And I'd kill for a patio like that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. great post & nice blog! maybe we follow each other!? let me know ! www.yuliekendra.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I *love* the way you did your star on top of the tree--with the little curve. Very unique and creative. Might need to steal...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am super jealous of your balcony! This post has got me pumped up for holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love yout decorationd and pictures! I'm super envious of that record collection :)

    http://www.teenyhippie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. let me just make a note that you new camera is fabulous! i see you two are getting nicely acquainted. i love the little picture of the bulbs with you in the picture taking the picture. i will also second the comment that i am jealous of your veranda. so pretty! and you tree stacked on books - love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty!! I haven't decorated yet, I'm still gathering things. :) I love how Holiday-ed out your apartment is!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love your blog! Thanks for your comment over on mine :) Super jealous of your record player. You gained a new follower!

    Elise
    http://impossiblyelise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow so beautiful...Christmas decorating is something I wait all year long for! I was lucky enough to get a real tree this year and my husband seemed to have a lot of fun trimming it up with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. such a pretty post. love the holidays! this post got me excited to be decorating this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lived in NY and did ballet?!! Nice. (My dream life :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love having lots of lights! you can NEVER have too many. we're moving into our new place on Saturday and I can't wait to decorate for christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blog is so lovely! Adding you to my reader!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pretty! I love all the twinkly lights, I can't wait to get mine up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your home looks beautiful!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Christmas lights and sounds are some of my favorite parts of this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so ready for the holidays! In Denmark the days get so short in winter that Christmas lights become a vital part of keeping sane. They've decorated the city here now and I plan on spending my weekend getting our decorations up! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the vintage record player. It is so perfect for old Christmas albums. Plus there is something just cool about seeing Christmas trees mixed amoung dinosaur skeletons. Fun job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So so pretty! I love your eclectic mix of ornaments and that record player! I'm ready to put my tree up as well - but first we have to go get one! The museum tree turned out perfect! Red and gold and such a classy and festive combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I decorated my tree this past weekend while listening to Christmas records too :) Your tree + home is so pretty! ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post and so nice pics. Have a nice day.

    http://www.fashiondenis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for your comment! I love your decor...let's keep in touch, I'd love to!
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  32. i LOVE that ballerina ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that some of these thing shave such sentimental memories attached to them! Beautiful decorations!

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  34. All the decorations look wonderful! And I must say I love the christmas tree by the t-rex! Just so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful decorating, all of these shots are great. I would kill to have that balcony to decorate, so pretty! xo

    http://thecharleygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your home looks beautiful! I absolutely love all of the lights you've put up! xo

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gosh I love all of your lights! I plan to put lights on my backyard this year and leave them up all year long ;)

    We always play Christmas music while decking out tree also. Maybe tomorrow is the day. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the fact that your tree leans at the top. That's pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow, your decorating tradition sounds lovely. and your apartment looks even lovelier :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. How cute are you? Thanks for stopping by my blog. I popped over to see your little space on the web and I love it. Well done. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awe, your house is adorable, too! Love all the Holiday decorations and the ballerina ornament is certainly my favorite ;).

    By the way, Dimitri says hi, hehe :p.

    ReplyDelete
  42. it looks fantastic! i am so jealous of your record player!!

    ReplyDelete

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Currently reading

Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucía
Last Summer at the Golden Hotel

Latest on Pinterest