Holiday Lights

Last week, we walked around the lake downtown where all of the bushes and trees are decorated with lights. There was a Christmas movie playing in the arena on the lake and the huge Christmas tree that's up has a light display that changes to music every hour. My friend works for the city in their events department and she was the one inside the tree with the electrical box at the lighting ceremony to light it up. So this year, I'm a little more proud of that tree knowing my friend was a part of it!

This weekend we stumbled upon an art market at a restaurant in our neighborhood. The restaurant is inside of an old house, just like all of the other surrounding residences, with 40's style decor and apparently great cocktails which we have yet to try. While driving by, we saw signs for an art and vintage market, so we stopped in only to find that it is a monthly market. We found some treasures, like another old radio for S and a vintage art deco ring for me.

Afterwards, we went to our favorite movie theater with one screen, luxurious couches instead of chairs, and delicious truffle fries and pear proscuitto pizza. We went to see Rare Exports, one of our favorite holiday movies. It takes place in Finland during Christmas and while it's a little dark with it's interpretation of Santa and his elves, it still has holiday spirit, and ends with comedy. We've see it at this theater three times now during the holidays, so it's become a tradition.

We listened to Christmas vinyls on the record player as we did laundry, cleaned the house, and read books. I'm in the middle of four books right now and it's wonderful. I'm in the middle of a Chuck Palahniuk book that I've lost a little interest in, I've started a non-fiction book by Kelly Cutrone called Normal Gets You Nowhere which I think I'll save for after my vacation from work, I'm a few chapters into a historical fiction novel called The Paris Wife about Hemingway's first wife,  and lastly, I'm reading my first murder mystery novel! It's by the queen of mystery, Agatha Christie and it's about a murder on France's Blue Train which I find fascinating in itself. We saw a few friends and we went out to dinner, but overall we hung around the house lighting the Hanukkah candles and burning some oils I got at a new age store. 

After walking around the lake with Mordechai, the rest of the night he would not get up from the couch. He would normally follow me to the kitchen curiously to see what bottle of wine I was going to open, and he'd normally jump at the chance to go on one more walk, but he didn't. He stayed cuddled up by my feet, sharing a blanket and a Christmas movie.

Comments

Post a Comment

  1. I have quite the issue with losing interest in books half way through! Maybe that should be my new year resolution... actually finish them!! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my issue for so long with my kindle! But now that I can actually see how far I have left for a physical book, I am so much more determined to read it cover to cover! Xo

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had such a wonderful night looking at all of the lights.
    I love the pictures. You two look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle! You looked like you had a fabulous birthday this December! Xo

      Delete
  3. these pictures are so beautiful. it sounds like you guys have had some really magical holiday moments.

    i still have 'the paris wife' unopened on my night stand, it's been months since i picked it up. for some reason i never feel interested in it, but i know it's suppose to be really good - with that i'll be excited to hear what you think. i just finished 'the enchanted' i think it's one you'd appreciate. so good. so haunting. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you dear :) i tried to really embrace the holidays this year as work got busy and crazy! i too cannot get into the paris wife but like you - i want to read it!

      i'm off to look into the enchanted now! i am growing quite the large book list!

      Delete

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Currently reading

Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucía
Last Summer at the Golden Hotel

Latest on Pinterest