Christmas Day

Christmas day was definitely different this year compared to last year. Last year we were on our road trip up north and stopped in Philly for a few days of relaxation and some city exploring too. This year, we went to my moms house like we used to but it was still different. 
My brother brought his new cat to visit, along with my cousin bringing his dog in addition to the other two dogs that were already at my moms house. It was packed to say the least. The dogs played with each other, and barked, and wrestled. The kitten found a quiet and cozy spot near the Christmas tree and kept to herself. 
My mom made challah french toast for Christmas morning, like always. In the beaten eggs, she always adds some cinnamon and a drop of vanilla extract. Plus, with fluffy, eggy bread like challah, it's always delicious!
Although we all started our day with coffee and french toast, once it was time for gifts we really toasted, with mimosas. 
We all opened gifts, hugging and thanking each other. In between gifts and snacking on cheese, we Skyped with some of my cousins and my aunt up north. It was nice to see a little bit of each other - although of course it isn't the same.
For dinner my mom made all of our favorites including baked mac and cheese that I helped her with, spooned corn bread, spinach and rice torte, sweet potatoes, turkey, and even ham. It was a delicious feast and I was happy to take leftovers home to each it all over again. 
This past weekend was a nice weekend of relaxing at home, catching up on cleaning and grocery shopping and cooking. We have so many great ingredients in our home right now, including produce to juice, home made focaccia bread (which I have photos to share), leftover turkey and chicken for paninis, and sprouts which are super healthy and I've been putting them in our salads. Other than that - S introduced me to a new comic book, Fables, which I've started reading along with some F Scott Fitzgerald short stories. Over all, it's been nice to be back home. 
Some of you may have seen my small victory on Instagram - we finally submitted our Visa applications to the Brazilian consulate! It was hours of tedious paperwork, getting it together, making sure everything was signed to perfection - the consulate will deny and prolong the process for any little reason. Saturday morning, we waited in line at the post office and were lucky enough to be helped by a woman from the Bronx who used to work in Passports in Manhattan. Walking away from the post office with only my copies and without my Passport felt relieving, yet scary at the same time. Now begins the fun part where I can research old train stations, little towns around Buenos Aires for day trips, and art markets and restaurants galore! 

Comments

Post a Comment

  1. You have such wonderful photos. Challah is so yummy! It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much paulette! i have so much fun with my camera lens :)

      Delete
  2. oh it looks like such a cozy christmas and your dinner sounds lovely. i didn't post on my blog for my christmas recap "just in case" my mom read it, but my mom bought christmas dinner and it was the worst ever. really, so bad ;) we were literally sick the next day. so i am already dreaming of next christmas dinner. but that was really the only part that wasn't perfect, so i am happy. i might have to get that cornbread recipe from you for next year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is too bad! you and the boys should do it all over again (maybe just you four...) and just make a nice meal sometime this month to make up for it!

      Delete
  3. Your Christmas sounds absolutely lovely. My husband and I have a weekly tradition of making french toast with challah bread.. I will NEVER go back to just plain toast! Congratulations on submitting your visa apps! This must be such an exciting time for you both :) Happy New Year, Yelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is the best weekly tradition - i wonder if i would ever get sick of it? probably not - because it is so delicious!

      Delete
  4. Thank god for Skype, right? I can't imagine how families far away shared moments like this before the advent of that wonderful app. Your Christmas looked like it was a good one (and that Challah french toast sounds just amazing! Seriously my weakness) spent with loved ones. What more could you ask for?! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed - spending time with family on the holidays (plus food and wine) makes the holidays perfect!

      Delete
  5. That challah sounds wonderful, and I'm convinced its one of the most beautiful breads with its braid atop :)

    So glad you had a wonderful holiday // happy new year Yelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed! if any bread looked like challah bread, glossy and eggy and braided - i'd be sure to eat it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. is she?! such a cutie and so sweet and demure.

      Delete

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Currently reading

Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucía
Last Summer at the Golden Hotel

Latest on Pinterest