Sautee Nacoochee, GA

Christmas Markets: Sautee Nacoochee, GA



Sautee Nacoochee, GA

Our cabin was technically in Sautee Nacoochee, just outside of Helen. Far enough outside of the outskirts of Helen that we didn't have any cell service. We would leave the cabin in the morning, and once out of range of the wi-fi, it would be a 5 minute's drive until we reached service again. Not that much when the towns we were visiting were all in the same general direction, but a hell of a long time if an emergency were to occur with one of the girls.

Quiet, solitude seem so peaceful - in theory. Now that I'm a parent, general anxiety has turned into anxiety about not being able to care for my kids. Getting to the closest hospital in a timely manner? Proximity to a cell tower to make a 911 call? Late night pharmacy nearby for fever reducing meds? These things cross my mind, and the peaceful bliss of a quiet cabin instead have a low lying level of anxiety the entire time.

At least the views are nice, and the smell of the wood burning fireplace of the neighboring cabin were pleasant to wake up to. There was also a hot tub, a common feature among many vacation rentals in mountains. S jumped right in at night after the girls were asleep. Armed with the baby monitor all setup to catch any murmur from each of them, I was about to jump in too. My former Chicago-self would be disappointed in how quickly I have reverted back to my Florida ways. The idea of taking off my clothes in the mere seconds it would take to get into the hot water chilled me. Instead I cozied up in a hoodie and a glass of wine, reading my book in the wood-paneled living room.

That's one perk of a cabin vacation, the reading. Even with wi-fi, cabins in the mountains usually have less distractions which allow for getting lost in a book, or two. In the 5 days were were gone, I started and finished 2 books. At home, there's always the TV with all of our service logins, clean laundry piles waiting to be folded, or other household chores, lingering in my peripheral vision, making it difficult to get lost in another world.



Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Currently reading

Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucía
Last Summer at the Golden Hotel

Latest on Pinterest